Sunday, December 14, 2008

Just Gabbin!

Although I've no knitting photos to add I wanted to share my, hmmm, I wouldn't call it frustration, just puzzlement really, of why I seem to be having problems with a cable pattern. I forgot that sometimes when you work a pattern in the round (such as a sock or as in this case, a leg warmer), that knits and purls don't always translate well because a pattern will assume that you will be knitting back and forth. Hence the reason the cables on my legwarmers are coming out a little wonky. By wonky I mean they are not exactly clear cut. I think I'm still going to go ahead and finish the one I've started as I'm almost finished with one of the legwarmers. I'll post it when I've finished one. I'll go ahead and make a second one and gift it to someone. My non-knitting friends won't realize that the cables arn't supposed to look that way. But then, I really want to be able to create a cable pattern in the round. I guess I'm going to need to pull out an established sock pattern with cables so that I can try and understand how it works. Then I can try to rework my pattern again. I know, it sounds complicated, but it helps to get it all out in the open for me.

On another note, our Australian exchange student, Katie, arrived yesterday. We simply ADORE her. She is only going to be with us one month and I just hope we don't totally wear her out. I don't think she is quite used to the constantly going schedule that probably most American households run. Nevertheless, it will be fun to show her a bit of the U.S. We are taking her to New York for Christmas to see some shows that my friends are performing in. Looking forward to that. I'm hoping I might be able to find one of the yarn shops in NYC. We've been to NYC several times but I've yet to schedule a trip to a yarn shop. Maybe this will be my year....

Well, as I said I don't have a photo to post of any knitting, but I will show a post of what Hurricane Ike did to our house. Two 70-foot pine trees fell on our house. We were lucky that the tree you see in the below photo got caught up by the tree in the backyard so it was not able to completely go through our house. If it hadn't, our youngest would have most likely of been crushed. Needless to say we feel very blessed.

No comments: