Friday, December 08, 2006

Charity Knitting

I have started two charity knitting/crocheting groups within the past couple of months. They are both pretty small right now, but the blessings have been abundant. Not only have we received quite a bit of donations worth of yarn, but also other knitters and crocheters who are not particularly signed up with my groups have donated items for us to give. The more I look into needy groups, the more I find there is an overwhelming need of knitted and crocheted items to be donated literally all over the world. What better time to really focus on that that during the Holiday season.

I am just so proud of our ambitious little groups that I have to share what has been donated to date (since September when we formed).

Children in Common (orphaned children in Russian or what was formerly known as the Soviet Union) - a vest, scarf and hat
Socks for Soldiers - 49 pairs of slippers for them to use while in their bunks.
Covenant House (wonderful organization for troubled teens) - 9 hats
Caps For a Cure (Chemo caps) - 1 hat
Houston Police Department - 1 pair of fingerless gloves

We will have more donations before the end of the year which I will post -- but being a new group I feel our little groups have done a wonderful job. I also have baby blankets, premie caps, abandoned pet blankets and a shawl for a chemo patient still yet to find homes for before the end of the year.

Of all the above, you might think the Houston Police Department to be a strange donation. I have been helping out a local theater for the past few weeks for their children productions and there is a wonderful police officer who spends his off duty time working to help the children safely get on and off their buses, into the theater, etc. Although we don't experience snow, it can get quite cold here, especially when a wind kicks up. Sometimes it is just difficult to do anything with gloves like write. Also, our policemen (I believe) our grossly underpaid for what they have to do and the shortage that we are experiencing in policemen right now in our large city. So I decided to give Officer Joseph a pair of fingerless gloves. He LOVED them and was quite touched that I made them for him. I plan to continue making them for our other law enforcement officers. Don't I sound like I am on my soap box. I didn't realize that I felt so strongly about it either, but there you are. Perhaps its the Christmas spirit? Anyway, here are a picture of my gloves for Officer Joseph!

2 comments:

Hank the Tank said...

Hey Kayleen,

I love what you are doing for charity. This is something I love to do regularly when my corporate job actually did more community stuff. This is a great blog. I read it regularly! By the way, this is your stage husband in Urinetown if you couldn't tell by the name.

Kayleen said...

What a treat that you actually read my little ol knitting blog! And I do love my stage husband!!!