Saturday, December 02, 2006

Modesty Shrug

I didn't think about this when I sat this blog up, but I think blogging is going to be a type of rite-of-passage in the sense that I'm forcing everyone (who voluntarily comes to my blog at least) to view my family growing up. My oldest daughter Alex, who is a Freshman in high school, went to her school dance tonight. Going to an all-girl school, they tend to stress modesty to the point that even we, as parents, had to sign a contract that we understood they were not allowed to wear strapless or spaghetti strap dresses. I agree with the school that on their casual dress days that they should not be allowed to wear spaghetti straps, halter tops, etc., but I don't know if I totally agree with the same rules when it applies to a formal occasion -- especially when it is impossible to find a dress with sleeves these days. My husband must of taken my daughter to five stores in an attempt to find a flattering dress -- and none of them had sleeves (I had a performance so couldn't take her).

What does any of this have anything to do with knitting you may ask? Well, Mamma to the rescue but I knitted her a shrug to match her dress. I think it came out very nice -- and it was my first time to use such lush ribbon/yarn.
Unfortunately, this beautiful little shrug cost almost as much as the dress! The upside? Where other girls at the dance who did not heed the warning got detention. Also, one size fits all. The shrug is now MINE! Ahahahahahahahahah. Okay, no more dramatics. but it is definitely a quick knit to fix a modesty problem. It is the easiest thing in the world to make, but I'll post a pattern just in case there is anyone who is not sure how to do one. I've made tons of these out of scrap yarn and they make great gifts. Alex's shrug was made with Prism yarn called Flirt in Mink color.

3 comments:

knittingpretty16 said...

The shrug looks very nice, especially on your daughter :) Very pretty...now I have to find a dress for band banquet. Thank you for posting the pattern!

Kathleen said...

Love the shrug! I also LOVE that your school has a modesty thing--my kids' school did as well and I thought it was great. My local theater just did Urinetown this summer and I loved it...which part are you? I am starting rehearsals for Six Degrees of Separation...

Anonymous said...

Great idea!!