Sunday, March 25, 2007

Rune Alphabet

A member of one of my groups put out a request for someone to design afghan squares or dishcloth squares with the Rune alphabet on each square. I love a challenge, so I requested a try. Having made the first letter, the member of my group liked it so I am on my way to creating 24 other squares. Click http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/pronunciation.html to find out more about the Rune Alphabet. What is a Rune Alphabet you might ask? Well, I asked the same thing. Apparently it is an ancient Germanic language. "They were used throughout northern Europe, Scandinavia, the British Isles, and Iceland from about 100 B.C.E. to 1600 C.E. Runic inscriptions of great age have even been found in North America, supporting stories that the Vikings arrived in the Americas long before Columbus."

So, if you have any interest in the Rune Alphabet, you can start checking my blog periodically to get a free pattern for each letter. Although I will show the letter here, you can get the pattern by scrolling down on the right and look for the title "Rune Alphabet". Each letter and its pattern will be listed there.

Okay, here is the first letter that I have -- the Letter F or Fehu (fay-who).

5 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Kayleen... thanks for visiting my blog too. I love your patterns here. I need to figure out how to have a link to my patterns and pictures. I am so un familiar with this blog and so far can only figure out how to post stuff, lol.

Looking forward to visiting here often

Aunt Kathy AK for short

annette2u said...

Hi Kayleen
Beautiful work and love what you are doing.
Annette

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth Lavold included a rune alphabet in one of her books, "Viking Knitting". You might want to point people there as well

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! Are you going to put these patterns up?
Love 'em
Carrie

Knitstress Mary said...

How awesome Kayleen! My DVH (darling Vikning Husband) will love it.

Mary