Sunday, January 07, 2007

Mystery Skein Exchange

I belong to this yahoo group called Mystery Skein Exchange. We are paired up with someone that we send a skein (minimum of 3 oz.) of yarn from our own stash that we purchased at some point but have not yet decided what to make with it. Then, our partner, after they receive our yarn, knits or crochets something up with it and then returned the completed project back to you. Likewise, you do the same with the yarn you receive from them.

I don't know why this idea excites me so much. My partner is Joy in Australia, and we have a little bit of a late start because both of our original partners kind of flaked out on us. However, we have met on-line and our packages are going out to each other this week. Joy apparently is president of her spinners organization there and is also involved in hand-dyeing her own yarn. I'm not nearly that talented, but I am sending her three hanks of yarn that I bought on one of my trips that is hand-dyed. Here's a picture!


I know, the colors don't seem to go together at all, but can you believe they came together in the package that way? I was so excited when I purchased it, but then when I got it home I couldn't for the life of me decide what I was going to do with it. I'm hoping that Joy has better luck than I did. I know she is sending me some of her hand-dyed yarn. I hope I don't screw it up, but I have a couple of ideas on what to make. Can't wait to get my hands on it. We have two months to complete our projects and get them back.

I have my own knitting group here in Houston called The Houston Knit Chicks. I have put a poll out to see if my members would also like to have a mystery skein exchange. Can you tell I like this idea?

1 comment:

randi K design said...

Hi, me Randi again (lonesome skein)...
Cute idea, I'd like to meet your group!