Saturday, January 13, 2007

Test pattern knitting

I jumped in for a chance to test knit a pattern. I figured how often would I get to do that. The project was for a child's sweater in three different sizes, and the pattern was written so that you end up with no seaming. The sweater was knit entirely in the round, the shoulders were bound off with a three needle bind-off, and then you picked up for the sleeves and knit them in the round until you bound off. Could not have been easier. It also was a great project for me to design a sweater for myself now -- again, to knit entirely in the round. In my opinion that is the way to go. And there was just enough pattern to keep me interested. My youngest, Natalie, is a sweetheart for modeling the unblocked sweater.



Where I am not at liberty to share this pattern right now, you can find out more about it by going to the yahoo group called CIC - or Children in Common. A charity focused on making sweaters, socks and vests for orphaned children in the former Soviet Union. Since this sample sweater was also knit in 100% wool, I am going to send it to CIC as well. Whereas we do need clothing here in Houston at our homeless shelters and such, 100% wool is difficult to wear here.

Since this was such a simple pattern to make, though, I can see making them quickly for local children here as well.

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hi Kayleen,
I like the sweater and the fair isle hat. Fair isle is on my list of things to try.

I am also tagging you. Check out my blog to find out what to do.

Suzann said...

Hi Kayleen

I am a test knitter also. I am still on sleeve one, so I won't be finished by the 15th. :( Still it will keep a child warm in due time. You daughter looks lovely in the sweater. Isn't it a great pattern. I am really enjoying working it. And yours came out beautiful. Mine is blue too
Cheers

Suzann said...

Hi Kayleen, thats for the comment at my blog. To answer your question I am knitting with two strands of Patons Classic wool. I need the double strands to get it up to bulky weight. Even with the double strands, my gauge is just a bit off the pattern gauge. I expect it will be ok, once it is blocked.
Yours looks great and you finished on time. I am on the second sleeve. Weekends are so hectic around here I got very little knitting done. Trying to catch up now
Cheers