Sunday, January 07, 2007

Start of 2007 with a bang!

Well, as evident by the lack of new posts I haven't had much time for posting -- but I have been busy knitting and crocheting like crazy. I had started some knitting groups -- one called The Houston Knit Chicks that meets once a month and a Charity Knitting and Crocheting group that meets twice a month but in different parts of the city. I had to pay quite a bit of money to maintain the membership on meetup.com, so one of my resolutions was to be more efficient. I moved both groups over to yahoo groups and they have both taken off by storm!

Right now on the needles I have a scrap afghan that I've been working on. A great way to get rid of lots of scrap yarn. Crochet -- and I'm working on the border. I also have multiple hats going, I'm test knitting a children's sweater for Children in Common - an organization that supplies knitted and crocheted sweaters, mittens and socks for orphaned children in Russia. Here is a picture of the sweater that I have so far. Actually, I'm quite a bit further than this photo, but haven't taken a new photo yet.


In addition that these I have also been working on a pair of self-striping socks, I took a class today on how to design your own socks so have been working on those gauge swatches, crocheting afghan squares whenever I get a moment, and working on a knitted small blanket for Project Linus.

On top of maintaining these two groups I've also been helping my daughter with her fundraiser. Alex has committed to raising $2,000 for the American Diabetes Association. One of the ways she is raising money is by collecting old cell phones. There is a company that will send a check to her favorite charity for turning in used cellphones. So, any of you who read this, consider sending me your old cellphones. I'll even help pay for postage!

Back to my charity group -- I have restructured it and have renamed it to From the Heart of Texas. Cute, huh? Our focus is now to focus on one charity a month. There are just so many charities that I want to help that I found I was wasting more time on trying to figure out what to make. This way I can narrow down my decisions. For instance, this January we are focusing on The Star of Hope -- a homeless shelter. They need everything from babies to adults, blankets, toiletries, etc. Everything is needed. Next month we will be concentrating on a Title 1 Elementary School (an underprivileged school) and making hats, scarfs and mittens for the children.

I've also been very busy performing in URINETOWN, THE MUSICAL. Talk about a high energy show! It has been keeping me busy. I have a matinee to perform tomorrow and then I get two days off. I can hardly wait.!

No comments: