Thursday, November 09, 2006

Knit, knit, knit, knit....



Some people call me a prolific knitter. Okay, to be honest, they just call me nuts -- but truth be told I do manage to get many knitted items out in a rather short period of time. Of course, I have an Aran sweater that I've been working on for over a year, but only because I can't really travel with it and I have to set the chart up in front of me and not have anyone talk while I work on it. With a husband, two teenage daughters, two cats and a hectic work schedule, that doesn't happen very often.

I do love quick projects though. I just feel a great sense of accomplishment. The fingerless glove (I will make the second one) is going to be for my nephew for Christmas. I was visiting my Mom in Bakersfield a few weeks ago, proudly wearing my Fetching gloves when he said how much he would love to have a pair of fingerless gloves that he could use for work. As my mother sent me home with a huge suitcase full of yarn (granted, it was all acrylic and I will use most of it for charity), I found a variegated ww yarn that I really liked and thought it would make a nice pair of gloves for him. Also, they are completely washable. Since he also has a Jack Russell dog that he loves, I thought I'd make the dog (Bruno) a matching sweater. Too cutesy? Oh the pattern for the fingerless gloves was created by Amanda Gill, and the pattern is free here http://www.gaea-creations.com/fingerless.pdf.

The hat, another quick project and a great way to use up fragments of yarn is a knitted hat believe it or not. Everyone who saw it thought it was crocheted. A very talented Laura designed this hat and this pattern can be found at http://www.poormissfinch.com/index.php?id=D20041101. I made this hat for Amanda, a young actress that I am rehearsing a show with right now. Needless to say, she was estatic and is eagerly awaiting for our show to open so that I will teach her how to knit.

1 comment:

cisforcarol said...

Kayleen - I stopped by to see your blog - and it looks fabulous! You had me beat in your first sentence. I'm definitely not a writer! See you next week and I'll let you know how Stitch was. Cheers.