Sunday, November 05, 2006

Working at Creating My Own patterns


Well I'm giving the idea of creating my own patterns a try. I seem to remember doing this same thing when I was first learning to cook. At first, I would never, ever deviate from a recipe, and for years I could literally not cook anything without a cookbook. Now, I rarely use one. Knitting is evolving that same way for me. Some designs are coming out by accident! Like this hat. Well, some of it was by accident and some on purpose.

This hat was created for a musical production of FROG AND TOAD which will begin performing at Main Street Theater here in Houston -- for the character Toad. I actually made a hat for both Frog and Toad, but Toad's hat had to be silly! I think it is. Unfortunately, you can't see the ginamous tassel hanging off the top of the hat. I'll try and get another picture of the actor wearing the hat in costume and make-up. Should be a hoot!


I have also been very busy making Fetching, the fingerless gloves from Knitty.com. I just LOVE making them. They are very fast, and I love wearing them. I think they will make fabulous, inexpensive Christmas gifts. Here are a couple that I made, one with the recommended Debbie Bliss Cashmerino in chocolate, and the lavender pair from leftover Cascade 220 that I had.

Finally, I have joined a monthly dishcloth exchange group for a year commitment. I thought it would be fun to actually try and design a dishcloth to send to each of these ladies. This candy corn cloth is my first attempt. Of course, I am only showing the cloth after my recipient has received it as to not spoil the surprise!

2 comments:

Deby said...

Ok, I am so glad I can finally leave you a comment! I absolutley love your mitts! How cool are those! I want to make everyone a pair. Great work!

Unknown said...

Hey Kayleen,
Your hats and fingerless gloves as well as your cloths are just fantastic. I am so happy to know you and see what you look like. Your help with the anvil pattern was so much appreciated.
Linda